Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

29/07/2010

Niseko WWOOF, day 1

This mornig I slept well in the wide space of the basement room in a western style bed. It rained all day, so work was letting the Goat outside and feeding the chickens. In the morning, I went out in the car with R-san and a German WWOOFer to buy milk and hydrocloric acid. First we went to the concrete factory and checked if they had any hydrochloric acid, but apparently not. They did tell us that maybe a pharmacy would have some. Anyway, we then went on to buy milk at a dairy farm owned by someone R-san knows. Only his sons were there, so we asked them but they wouldn't sell us milk for insurance reasons. So next we went to R-san's friend S-san's house and asked if he knew any farms which might sell us milk. He called around on the phone and found somewhere which would sell us milk, so we made plans to go tomorrow. We talked with S-san and his wife for a while and they were really interesting people. S-san himself has been to all sorts of foreign countries, and has made it a hobby to collect their currency. He only had coins for England, so I decided to give him a five pound which I had with me by chance tomorrow. After that we returned home. R-san and his wife self built the house, so there are still lots of things to do. Today we fixed a light which wouldn't turn on and a dead power socket. We took off the plasterboard and insulation and checked the socket, and the cable was broken. After R-san changed it over to a new socket and rewired it the problem was solved. We ended up removing the plasterboard on the ceiling (this was tough) and in front of the switchboard but the problem didn't vanish. In the end we found out the plywood and plasterboard which was being kept in front of one of the switches were just pushing on the switch. Never mind! After we cleared up it was evening and we all went to the local hot spring. It was my first hot spring, but it felt good. Though I wasn't used to the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment