Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

25/07/2010

Oomiya & a Festival


I went to Oomiya with Yosuke this morning.
We bought preprepared lunches at Seven Eleven, walked into Oomiya park and ate at a bench.
We walked through the park some more, and left the park briefly to see the Gokoku shrine (litterally 'protect country shrine', it is devoted to those who died in war.)
We returned to Oomiya park and walked around a small Japanese garden, then went to see Hikawa shrine (both within the grounds).
A person who I think was the shinto preist of the shrine was emptying the collection box.
Offering collection!



We also went to the Munakata shrine.

After that we went to the Oomiya 'Book Off', a store dealing in figurines called 'Mamegyorai' (bean torpedo..?) and had a look at 'Game Workshop'.

We then went home, ate dinner and went to see Yasaka shrine's Summer festival. (Yasaka shrine is within the same grounds as Washinomiya shrine, which I visited previously)
That's right, before even 2 weeks have passed since I entered Japan, I've experienced 2 festivals!

It was a smaller scale than Tenousama, but it still had a good atmosphere and was fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment