Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

22/09/2010

The Edo Tokyo museum

I went to Ryougoku and visited the Edo Tokyo Museum.
I didn't knowit before coming, but Ryougoku is famous for holding Sumo wrestling matches.
It appeared there was a match on today.

I entered the museum and checked out the exhibitions while talking to a guide then continued alone.
There was a model of Mitsuiechigoya, the original version of what is now Mikoshi department store which I saw the other day.
In the Edo period, it wasn't a department store but sold clothing.

A model of Ryougoku's port facing the Sumidagawa river.

The first Japanese phone box. It looks pretty different to the red box England started with.

A satire of the Salary Man lifestyle, apparently the starting point for Manga.

A 5:1 model of one of the baloon bombs which Japan used in WW2.

There were various other models of buildings, Japan's old cars and household electronics as well as a recreation of a pre-war Japanese household.

On the train back I was standing next to 2 of the Rikishi (Sumo Wrestlers).

No comments:

Post a Comment