Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

04/09/2010

Stuff


I was given the day off on the 20th August, so I went out to climb the nearby Tokachidake peak.
When I told the bus driver I intended to get off at Hakuginsou (a hot spring spa next to a starting point for the hike), he told me it would be better to climb from the last stop as it's higher up.
But, when I got there I found that the route to Tokachidake was closed due to rock slides, so I decided to climb to Ansei crater instead.
(2 pics)
Part way on I lost the trail of arrows which show the route and climbed an area which probably wasn't on the route. Unfortunately I fell over trying to climb back down.
Fortunately, I only got cuts in both palms and some scratches on my back & arms, not hitting anything too hard.
I walked back to the hotel by the starting point myself, and one of the staff there kindly drove me to a hospital in Kamifurano.
I didn't have to have any stitching, but I expect I'll have scars later.
My host, T-san and his family were very kind and understanding and let me stay longer than originally planned even though I haven't been able to help out very much while healing.
I also ended up having C-san and a Japanese wwoofer A-san prepare meals, and I really owe them a lot of thanks.
Regardless of this, I was able to enjoy my time here with the T-san family and other WWOOFers whilst surrounded by Kamifurano's beautiful nature.
My hands should finish healing given just a little more time, so my plans are to sightsee Otaru from next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment