Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

06/09/2010

Otaru - Day 1

On the way to Otaru, I got off the train on the way at "Hokkaidou's Navel" - Furano and walked around a bit eating icecream.


Me in front of the landmark showing Furano is the center of Hokkaidou. The other picture is a sort of a mascot for Furano's "Navel Festival".
During the actual festival lots of people walk around like this with a face painted on their bellies.

After I got to Otaru, I went to a ramen shop called "Shodai" and ate my first miso base ramen. It was pretty good.

Next I went to "Meruhen(fairy tale) Crossroads" where a lot of western style buildings stand.
A Canadian steam powered clock and the monument to a lighthouse which was known as the "jouyatou" (all night light).
While I was walking there was also a musical box museum, participatable glass blowing and places selling sweets.

The Otaru canal. It's not being used any more, but it's become Otaru's main tourist attraction.
I walked by the canal, enjoying the view as I walked to my lodge.

This is where the Japan Mail Shipping Line dock used to be. Barges used to load & unload their cargo here.

My lodge was on top of quite a high hill. The view was great.

I greeted the host then went down the hill again to eat conveyor sushi for dinner.
The canal and the view of Otaru were beautiful at night too, but I didn't do a very good job of photographing them.
I ate an "octopus head" cut - which is only available in Hokkaidou - at the restaurant.
It was surprisingly tasty, but I still like tuna and salmon better (excuse the poor comparison)

No comments:

Post a Comment