Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

05/10/2010

Henro Day 1


Yesterday I met with K-san, got on the overnight ferry and today finally arrived in Shikoku.
We went from Takamatsu station to Bandou, then walked to the first temple - Ryouzanji - and I bought the henro equipment and outfit I needed.
K-san is able to walk the first 5 temples with me while leading by example.

Me in the henro outfit in front of Ryouzanji's gate

Visiting a temple goes as follows:
Take off the hat (tsugegasa or just kasa)
Put on the Wagesa (buddhist stole)
Bow at the gate
Place the staff (kongouzue) in one of the provided holders
Wash (purify) hands and mouth at the Chouzu (for hygene reasons just pretend to wash one's mouth)
When there is a bell, it's okay to ring it (unless there is some notice saying not to)
Go to the main temple building, ring the bell if there is one and bow three times
Read the sutra
Bow and and put a votive card into the designated box
Go to the Daishidou temple building (this is devoted to Kuukai i.e. Kouboudaishi), ring the bell if there is one and bow three times
Read the sutra
Bow and and put a votive card into the designated box
Go to the Noukyoujo and get stamps and a sutra written into one's Noukyouchou (book for recording each temple's sutra)
Bow at the gate when leaving the temple

And so today I walked to the following:

Naruto City, 2nd temple Gokurakuji

Itano Town, 3rd temple Konsenji

Itano Town, 4th temple Dainichiji

Itano Town, 5th temple Jizouji

Kamiita Town, 6th temple Anrakuji

Awa City, 7th temple Juurakuji

I stayed at Guesthouse Ishida in Awa City


The host lady was very kind, the food was delicious and the room was spacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment