Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

22/07/2010

Distant relative


I found outthe other day that I have a distant Canadian relative in Japan (from here on J-san)
I went and met him in Narimasu today.
After promissing to meet the people J-san is currently working with in the evening, I went to Akihabara.
I used most of my time in the SEGA and TAITO arcades.
The UFO catchers were impossible (for me).
I tried various other games, but te one I found most interresting was a rhythmn game - Hatsune Miku Diva Project.
There is a piece of software called Hatsune Miku which uses a synthesised voice and regular people use it to create songs.
A compilation of these songs is being used in this game.
There's also a PSP version, making me want a PSP slightly.
I headed for J-san's place of work at 6, but I got a bit lost and ended up about 40 minutes late.
He introduced me to 5 CG designers. Everyone readly introduced themselves.
I appologised for being late, introduced myself and expained I do amature translation.
After that I sat in on a MAYA (software for creating 3D models and moving them with physics simulation etc) lesson they were doing and after that went to a nearby Izakaya (bar).
The were all great people, and one even gave me his business card and said he'd show me around Akihabara if our schedules match up on a day off.
J-san got on my train back with me and we got to talk a bit more.
I'd like to meet him again if I get the chance.
He seemed like someone who would be very fun to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment