Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

17/07/2010

Tokyo sightseeing - day 2

Left the net cafe (Moopa) at 4am. The aircon was too cold and I didn't get much sleep.
We reached the front entrance to Tsukiji in about 15 minutes, but we took a little too long working out where to go for the reception to the fish auction guide.
The number of tourists allowed to sightsee the auction has been limited to 2 groups of 70 since 2010, and when we reached the reception about 15 minutes after it opened all the spaces had been filled.

So we ended up disappointedly buying some drinks from a alley vending machine. An old gentleman who was drinking canned coffee talked to us and explained that we can still see the market and use the sushi restaurants inside Tsukiji - he recoomended a sushi restaurant named Yamato.

So we wondered around the market stalls selling various fish and veg, then found the Yamato restaurant.
Yamato Zushi

A we started talking with a friendly man who joined the line after us, andaccording to him Yamato normally bid off the 2nd best tuna going in the auctions.
He also told us that only yesterday the 2nd largest tuna in Japan's history was auctioned yesterday, it was 445 kilograms. (confirmed this on a news website)
He also told us that if we like anime and stuff, to visit Nakano Broadway (a shopping center with a lot of anime goods stores)
We entered Yamato and ate the 'masters choice' for 3500 yen.
I enjoyed it all, except perhaps the sea urchin and the squid, mainly due to the texture.
These cart/truck things were whizzing about the market.

Next we went to Hibiya park, and I took a 3 hour break while Yousuke checked out Akihabara some more.
There were several fish and tortoises swimming in the park's pond.

I got thirstly, so I went to the nearby police box to ask if the policeman knew where I could get a drink.
We ended up talking for a bit, and it turns out he has visited quite a few places abroad on holiday.

After getting a drink and returning to the park, I got talking to an elderly gentleman who seemed to be a little concerned for me and advised me to be careful who I trust among other things. I'm sure we talked about other stuff too, but I was still tired and don't remember well.

After meeting up with Yosuke again, we headed for Nakano Broadway.
On the way, we encountered an Okinawa themed event "Nakano Chanpuruu Festival"
I bought some sweets called Saadaa Andagii, and watched the live band with the singer Kazuma Tei whilsteating it. We heard about 3 songs.
Check out one of the songs we heard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skiHMcilrtA It's a folk song in protest of plans to possibly move Okinawa's american base to Tokushima.

Then we went to Nakano Broadway.
There were a lot of shops selling figurines, Manga and Doujinshi. I was surprised at the number of shops and the amount of things on sale.
Before leaving, we checked out aWarhammer shop inside Nakano Broadway, and a nice guy working there explained how the game works to us by actually stepping us through a short battle.
I knew at least one person in England who did Warhammer, but I never knew how the game worked.
Just before leaving we ate pork Manjuu and prawn Shuumai in a basement level shop.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Neil,
    We are enjoying your very interesting blog, and look forward to every installment, congratulations.

    LIZ & IAN (THE ANCESTORS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. > Liz & Ian
    Hi there, nice to see that you're checking it out!
    I got a little behind updating but I'm trynig to catch up today.

    ReplyDelete