Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

23/10/2010

Henro Day 19

Today I had a choice of whether to take the road or a mountain path and chose the latter.

In addition there were 2 routes, of which I chose the “Soemimizu henro path”.

187188189

Paths!

190

The tea & biscuits I received as a ‘settai’ from an elderly lady in Nakatosa town, before the mountain path.

I was very grateful of the gift… but it did mean I had to carry a bag of rubbish with me for the next couple of hours ^^;;

191192193

The middle picture is after climbing to 300~400 meters high, looking back over Nakatosa Town.

194195

Onto Route 56! (the road) After walking a little there was a henro rest hut, so I took a short break.

196

Shimanto Town (the part which used to be Kubotsukawa Town) – where the temple and my inn are.

197198199

Shimanto Town, 37th temple – Iwamotoji

200201

My room in Guesthouse Awa

There wasn’t a shower in the bathroom, so I didn’t know quite what to do. I asked the landlady, still naked, through the door and apparently you take water from the tub to rinse with. That was a first for me since arriving in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment