Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

07/09/2010

Otaru - Day 2

On the 2nd day, I walked down the old rail line on part of which there was a photograph display.
There were a lot of scenic pictures of Otaru, it's wildlife, the old streets and even the many stray cats and it was quite interresting.
Slightly overgrown with weeds

I ate my lunch at a restaurant started by a friend of my loge's host who moved to Otaru and started the western style store.

After getting something to eat, I went to a shrine called Suitenguu.
The shrine was very pretty, but the view across Otaru was beautiful too.

Next I went to the old Japanese bank building.
It's presently a financial museum, so I went in and had a look.
They were letting people feel the weight of 100,000,000 yen (currently 774000 sterling) so I did that too.
The old Japanese Bank and some inconsiderate taxi

The sun set after I wondered around a bit (I also went to the electronics store)
The Jouyatou monument at night
Finally I went to the Otaru beer microbrewery - which is in a converted warehouse - and drunk the season limited festival beer and Dunkel Bock,
Both were delicious.
It seems they are brewing the beer in the same way it is done in Germany, and when I was drinking, by chance a German guy spoke to me.
According to him the beer was genuinely good from a German perspective too.
The Otaru Festival Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment