Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

16/09/2010

A "ghibli" coloured day

I met with E-san who I met in Sapporo, and we watched the latest studio Ghibli animation "The Borrower Arrietty" together.
I thought it seemed simmilar to "The Borrowers", and it turns out the film was based on it.
The picture felt very Ghibli-style and moved nicely, plus the story was pretty good.
I think it's a good film.

After seeing the film, we went to eat lunch at a good udon noodle restaurant E-san's friend told her about.
I went for udon with beef topping and a katsuo based soup. It was delicious!

We then went back to Mitaka city and walked to the "Ghibli Museum, Mitaka".
Totoro was(n't) selling tickets!

The first room we saw after entering the museum showed the history of animation.
The Zoetrope and physical zoetrope, using models of Totoro characters and a strobe light, were particularly interesting.
One of the corridors was set up as a gallery with various pictures and pencil drawings from Ghibli films.
There were several rooms which were set up as workrooms for making the animated films. The walls had all sorts of illustrations stuck on them, and the rooms were full of objects and resources which would be used as reference material when drawing.
It was also possible to handle (replica, I guess) the storyboards for the movies. I took a look at the storyboards for "The Borrower Arrietty".
They were drawn with surprising care. (I would have expected more rough drawing)

We also watched a short animation "The day I bought a planet", which can only be seen in the museum.
I thought the way planets were born in the film was brilliant.

It was interresting just walking around the museum.
Right before closing time we checked out the rooftop garden and looked at the statue of the robot which appears in Laputa.

I had a fun day with E-san.

No comments:

Post a Comment