Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

16/09/2010

A rainy Yanaka, Ueno and Jinbouchou

I went to Yanaka fro the afternoon.

I visited Tennou temple before looking at the cemetery where the Shogun Yoshinobu Tokugawa is buried.
The Tendai sect temple - Tennouji

After getting slightly lost wondering the Yanaka cemetery, I got to see Yoshinobu Ieyasu's grave.
Grave of the last shogun of the Edo shogunate.

I left the cemetery and walked around Yanaka a bit. There were a lot of old looking houses and temples.
The damages to Yanaka during the great Kantou earthquake and the second world war were fairly low, so there are still old buildings remaining.

The Tendai sect head temple for the Kantou region - Kaneiji - was close by so I checked it out.


I walked through Ueno park on the way to Jinbouchou.
Ueno park Toushouguu shrine

Next I walked through Akihabara, and then Ochanomizu after checking the direction with someone.
Incidentally, the character "Professor Ochanomizu" from Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy was named after this place.

It was already about 6pm by the time I arrived in Jinbouchou, and most of the second hand bookstores it's famous for were closed...
Anyway, after walking around for a while I tried asking someone if they knew a good restaurant nearby, and they told me about a curry restaurant called "Ethiopia".

I asked some students if they knew where the restaurant was after walking a bit, but they didn't remember exactly and gave me a rough area to check.

After I'd walked a little in the direction they told me, one of them ran up from behind and said they'd show me the way.
Apparently he'd gone to the effort of finding the pace on his phone after I asked, what a great guy!
Before going to "Ethiopia" he showed me an interesting shop called "The book store where you can play" (after translation) so I looked at the stuff on sale there for a bit.
It felt a bit like England's GadgetShop, and I was surprised at the range of things they stocked.

The friends the guy was with entered the shop after us and reintroduced themselves.

After walking to the restaurant and saying farewell I went in and ate beef curry.
It reminded me of the beef curry I sometimes have at home in England and was very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment