Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

15/10/2010

Henro Day 11

I walked about 26KM today after completing the remaining 14KM to #24 and walking up till #26.
Since MM-san left the guesthouse before me and because I forgot my staff when I departed and wasted about an hour recovering it, I didn’t catch him up till #25 Shinshouji.
I was able to meet a couple again who I previously met in the restaurant near Shishikui.
They live near Muroto City’s Yasaka Shrine, and there’s a festival from 12 today, but unfortunately I already reserved my inn today and didn’t have the time to stay to see it.
I talked with them for a bit in their house, ate some Sekihan* & Sashimi*2 then had to depart again.
*Sekihan = Red Rice (Extra glutinous Rice cooked with azuki beans) eaten on auspicious occasions
*2 Sashimi = Cuts of raw fish eaten with soy sauce, wasabi and rice
94
‘Meotoiwa’ (couple rocks) which were on the coast
9596
Yasaka Shrine in Muroto City. They are preparing for the festival. The girls in the right picture are Miko (shrine maidens)
97
A cave which Kouboudaishi (Kuukai) secluded himself in pursuit of enlightenment.
98
(A very small portion of) the stairs up to Hotsumisakiji
99100101
Muroto City, 24th temple – Hotsumisakiji
102
Alighting from the temple on the roadway, I enjoyed the above view of Muroto City.
103104
Muroto City, 25th temple – Sinshouji. Reunited with MM-san.
105
Muroto City, 26th temple – Kongouchouji
I stayed the night here – within a sort of Ryokan belonging to the temple.
106107108
The hall as you enter the hotel & my room – it’s hard to tell from the pictures but it’s very spacey (for 2 people)
The things needed to make myself tea were placed on the table and dinner was Sashimi and Tataki (a lightly broiled katsuo tuna dish) plus the usual elements to a Japanese meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment