Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

27/10/2010

Henro Day 23

I walked the 6KM to the temple Kongoufukuji and then walked back 20KM the way I came.
Why? Because that’s the best route to take to the next temple #39.
henro-map

16

The sunrise at 6am

17

The road ahead splits onto the old henro path to the right and the car road to the right.

I tried taking the right path, but it was a pretty wild mountain path. I tried walking almost all of the possible paths where the road split but they were all dead ends (ended in wilderness or unwalkably dangerous paths). I wasted about an hour.

18

The view from the viewing platform on Ashizuri cape

19

Bronze statue of Nakahama Manjirou at the bottom of the viewing platform

In 1841 the fishing ship he was on wrecked and he was saved by an American ship and came to live in America. 10 years later he returned to Japan and taught English and American sailing techniques etc.

202122

Tosashimizu City, temple 38 – Kongoufukuji

262728

The road back

2930

My room and the outside view of guesthouse Kumomo

The lady running the guesthouse was cheerful, since there was a room left but she hadn’t prepared it yet, she offered a small room for 1000 yen discount.
I decided there was plenty of room to sleep, so in the name of saving a little money I accepted. The room was inside the building to the left in the outdoor photo.
The hostess gave me a cushion for Kouboudaishi to sit on (a small cushion for the cane to stand on) as a settai.
The following morning she also gave me 2 onigiri and some sweets.

She was very nice and I was grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment