Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

09/11/2010

Henro Day 36

Today I did a round trip of the path normally taken down from #60 Yokomineji. I left my backpack at yesterday’s ryokan, so I had a light load.

I then stayed at a minshuku (Japanese style guesthouse) nearby yesterday’s ryokan.

4243

The weather was a bit strange and rained on and off. I passed a quarry on the shortcut the butcher told me.

4546

The climb

4748

From near my destination Yokomineji

495051

Saijou City, temple 60 – Yokomineji

Before reading any sutras, I came across TI-san and his wife who I have been meeting now and again recently. They gave me an apple, which was a nice way to replenish the energy I used while climbing.

I also met 2 lady’s walking the pilgrimage called KMK-san and SK-san. They said they were going to climb a little further and see the “kane no torii” (metal shinto shrine archway) so I went with them.

52

“kane no torii”. It looks grand with Mt. Ishizuchi in the backdrop, but it’s actually shorter than me.

When we got back to the rest hut at yokomineji, they shared their lunch with me. Huge thanks! ^^

I descended the mountain at about 3 the speed I climbed at. lol

53

There are still some clouds, but it doesn’t feel like it will rain any more.

545556

Today’s guesthouse “Dougyou Minshuku Suzu”

The lady running this minshuku (from here Suzu-san) previously taught flower arrangement and how to properly wear kimono among other things, but she had to move back to Ehime prefecture in Shikoku so she had a house built to her design and moved in and made a living making pottery. It seems she has received awards for her pottery several times.

And recently (from 2 years ago if my memory is correct), she quit pottery and started her minshuku guesthouse business. It seems she designed the house so that she could do this fro the start.

Suzu-san also holds the sendachi qualification, so she has completed the pilgrimage several times.

I think I met quite an amazing person.

The minshuku itself left a good impression, with pottery decorated all over the place it has a unique atmosphere. I really recommend this place.

1 comment: