Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

01/11/2010

Henro Day 28

The man from Henro Inn Moyai made me onigiri and miso soup for breakfast as settai.

I met YH-san again today from part way and we walked together.

I visited 3 temples and stayed in a business hotel in Seiyo City so I could connect to the internet.

78

It was raining a little when I departed, but it stopped and started to get sunny after walking a few kilometers, so I stopped at a rest hut and took off my rain coat.

91011

The road to #41

12

The “longevity udon” I ate at the udon restaurant in front of #41

The current prime minister of Japan – Kan (before he became prime minister), who was walking the henro pilgrimage, was headed for the wrong road at which point the owner of the restaurant stopped him. He ended up stopping by to eat some udon noodles and while talking to the owner he promised to make Japan a “country which presses their hands together” (of course, in the sense that they practice buddhism).
Then, after Kan became prime minister he apparently made that exact promise in a speech.

131415

Uwajima City, temple 41 – Ryuukouji

161718

The path to #42

2223

Uwajima City, temple 43 – Butsumokuji

2021

The left picture is of the 7 gods of good fortune, but I don’t know about the right picture. If anyone knows please tell me! Maybe they are to do with the Jizou bodhisattva…?

242728

The path to #43

29

The Hijigawa river before #43

303132

Seiyo City, temple 43 – Meisekiji

33

A stone carving of Buddha’s footprint. I sometimes see these at temples, but apparently it’s good to worship them. In this case it’s for healing injuries and such. Buddha had a truly interesting foot.

3435

The path down from Meisekiji

363738

Part of Seiyo City has preserved it’s old style.

39

Seiyo City, Uwa Park Hotel’s single room

No comments:

Post a Comment