Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

06/11/2010

Henro Day 33

My plans for today got disrupted part way, but it wasn’t a problem in the end. Details below!

132133134

Matsuyama City, temple 52 – Taisanji

135

136137

As I reached the main gate to #53, a lady car-pilgrim gave me a sweet potato roll and a can coffee. Just as I was starting to feel hungry – very welcome! ^^

138139

Matsuyama City, temple 53 – Enmyouji

#53 was the last temple I’m visiting today, so I phoned “costablanca” - the hotel I was planning to stay at today.

After confirming there was a vacant room and it was okay to stay, on taking my name the lady on the phone told me apologetically that they don’t accept foreigners. By policy. So I gave up staying there, whilst wondering if it’s really okay to put that sort of thing in hotel policy.

So if you should get the chance to stay here, I suggest that you please boycott them – discrimination shouldn’t be forgiven. (of course I don’t expect anyone reading the English version of my blog to come across such a chance to stay here)

I changed my plans to stay at a tsuyadou called Aokijizou a further 8 kilometers on.

140

A café shaped like a train which was by the road, I didn’t go inside though.

141

After walking for a while I ate lunch at an udon noodle restaurant.

142143

The right picture is a road stop which I rested at. I also ate some not very doghnut-ish chocolate doughnuts.

144

The “Taiyou Oil Refinery” which was next to Aokijizou.

01

The Aoikijizou Tsuyadou

I came across KB-san about 5KM before reaching the tsuyadou. It seems he was also planning to stay there!

When we reached our destination, a man called HWS-san appeared and showed us around. He also gave us some information about where the next zenkon hotels and tsuyadou were and also gave us cup noodles and coffee as a settai.

I expect the mild night helped, but it was surprisingly comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment