Welcome

For those reading who don't know me, or have forgotten my name, I am Neil Gordon and I intend to keep this blog up to date with my travel activities in Japan - taking place from mid July 2010 till some time in January 2011.
I'm English and am interested in the Japanese culture and language, as well as computers and technology.
The blog name neiltanken is simply my name + 探検 (tanken) - which means expedition.

02/11/2010

Henro Day 29

I hadn’t planned it, but I ended up doing a little sightseeing.

404142

I left Uwa Town an headed for Tosaka ridge.

4344

Tosaka ridge – the climb and the view

4546

the decent

474849

After descending and walking a little, I ate some deep fried octopus and an “American dog” at a takoyaki restaurant.

5152

When I reached Oozu City, there was a festival procession passing by chance.

535455

I don’t know exactly what the festival is about, but let’s leave investigation till later.

5657

I found an Ichiroku cake store in Oozu City, so I tried the “Ichiroku Tart” which they are famous for. Wasn’t very exciting!

596061

When I got to Uchiko City, I still had free time, so I checked out the Uchikoza kabuki theatre. They even allow visitors to go under the stage (this area is called ‘naraku’ which means hell basically). The circular area of the stage can be rotated from underneath.

626364

The free henro inn which I stopped at.

I think this inn would be better described as a hut. It got pretty cold as nigh set on, but I buried myself under several blankets so I survived.

Even so, because my face was uncovered I woke up from the cold at about 4am, turned on my torch and departed.

No comments:

Post a Comment